With simply paper and creativity anyone can create art


Friday, July 12, 2013

Summer Display Layout Tutorial (Swirlydoos)

The July Swirlydoos "Madame" main kit was so easy to create with - so many beautiful embellishments. These Prima and Kaisercraft papers look like they are already masked and stamped on too - so awesome! I decided to make this a summer display layout for my mantle so I used a stock image. Here is a tutorial of my layout made with just the MAIN kit contents - without any add-ons!

click on images for larger views

STEP 1 - PREPARE THE BACKGROUND
I cut a small bit off the edges (a quarter inch?) of the light Prima paper, heavily distressed it and adhered it to a darker Prima paper. TIP: Only glue the middle of the papers together, leaving 3 inches all around to be freely rolled back later on (easier to do this at the end).

STEP 2 - FUSSY CUT AND/OR DISTRESS YOUR LAYERS
I cut out a few photo mat layers (approx. 4x6 or 5x7 sizes) from the Kaisercraft papers (the frame and tan paper) and used the Prima flowers packaging as a layer too.

STEP 3 - START POSITIONING
I placed the 3 paper layers and one of the element sticker borders, plus a chipboard piece (splattered with gesso the Silks paint in the kit) on top of my background.

STEP 4 - ADD MORE EMBELLISHMENTS
I added more chipboard, sticker elements and a flower. The chipboard birdcage was treated with gesso, Silks paint (from a previous kit) and brown chalk ink. TIP: I fussy cut some of the sticker flowers apart.

STEP 5 - THE FINISHING TOUCHES
I added the photo image, even more sticker elements (again fussy some apart), plus added more flowers, punched some butterflies (from kit scraps) and rolled back the edges in a few places.

STEP 6 - SECURE THE EDGES
Lastly, I added a bit of glue in spots that were not rolled back to secure the edges of the layout. NOTE: I also used this month's stunning kit sketch as inspiration...

Here is a peek at the Swirlydoos July 2013 "Madame" main kit and add-ons. To become a subscriber and never miss a gorgeous Swirlydoos kit click here.

7 comments:

LISA said...

What a great design!! Your layout is beautiful!!

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

wonderful!!! sharing this layout on my FB page, hope you don´t mind
hugs from Brazil

Adriana B said...

fab tutorial, lovely page :)

Beatriz said...

Te quedo precioso el layot, me a gustado mucho, bsssss

Unknown said...

This kit is stunning, and your layout very well does it justice. It is stunning!! I always loved the elegance of your art. Would love to know where you get your images.

Ivana Camdzic said...

Vicky - what a gorgeous layout!!! I loved seeing it come together! You make it all look so easy! :) Thanks so much for the visits and comments on my blog! Missing you lots - hope all is good!

Eila Sandberg said...

Beautifully showcased kit! You've been unfaithful ye naughty girl, I spy the birdcage .... :))))